Transferable Skills Training 3 – Presentation skills
- Date: 18th – 20th September 2016
- Venue: Kingston University, Penrhyn Road Campus, KT12EE, Kingston upon Thames, London.
- Social event: will be organised on Sunday (visit to Hampton Court palace by boat and dinner)
Prepare the ESRs for scientific presentations (at conferences, review meeting, etc.).
Make the ESRs aware of the skills required for outreach and communication activities (e.g. role as Marie Curie ambassadors, talks to media).
From “get-together” event in Lisbon
– “what a good presentation should have”
– “what a good presentation should not have”
– “what a good poster should have”
– “what a good poster should not have”
Reflect on your earlier presentations: what do you think should be improved?
Keep/consider your 3 minutes presentations from Lisbon
The session with Prof Mischa Dohler will be an interactive Q&A sessions, hence please prepare your questions in advance!
Info about the speaker:
|Sun (18th Sep)||Boat trip to Hampton Court.
15:45 Meeting at Town End Pier Kingston map
16:30 visit of Hampton Court palace
|19:00 dinner (Monty’s Restaurant, Fife road – near to Kingston station)|
|Mon (19th Sep)||
Sopwith Building, room 3027
9:00 Welcome and Introduction
9:15 Session 1: Presentation to different types of audience
– 9:15 – 11:00 Outreach (media/press, TED, café scientifique, etc.)
9:15-10:00 Prof James Orwell (Kingston University)
10:00-10:45 Prof Mischa Dohler (King’s College)
10:45-11:00 Dr Jan Lauritzen (Kingston University)
– 11:15 – 12:45 Scientific presentations at conferences: Prof Christopher James (Warwick University)
|12:50 Lunch (Picton Room)
13:45 Session 2: Presentation tools
Room JG5004 (Galsworthy building)
– 13:45 – 14:15 Joshua Chapman (Kingston University)
14:15 Session 3: Teamwork – presentations
– Feedback session on presentations in Lisbon (in groups)
– Improvement of presentations
– Rehearsal of presentations (in groups – VR tools also available)
– Video recorded presentations from ESRs
– Final feedback session
|Possible discussion on outreach events, e.g., café scientifique / Free|
|Tue (20th Sep)||
John Galsworthy building, room JG4004
9:00 Session 4: Poster presentations
– Discussion on QoMEX posters
– Tools and templates
– How to present the information in a poster (/leaflet)
10:30 Session 5: Teamwork – QoE-NET poster & leaflet
12:30 Poster presentation
13:00 end (possible lunch together)